Carnoustie Golf Course
Golf has been played over the links at Carnoustie since the 1500’s but the present course came into being in 1850 when it was designed by Alan Robertson of St Andrews. Some 20 years later the legendary Old Tom Morris improved and extended the course to 18 holes and in 1926 the famous architect James Braid redesigned the Championship course extensively.
James Braid’s work was universally acclaimed, but it was still felt that Carnoustie Championship course had a weak finish. Prior to the 1937 Open Championship the final 3 holes at Carnoustie were redesigned by James Wright, a local man, and he produced what has come to be regarded as the toughest finishing stretch in golf.
Carnoustie is a public links, and the opportunity is there for everyone to play the Championship course. There are many local golf clubs, all of which have playing rights over the course and the clubs themselves have a proud and interesting history. Carnoustie consist of three courses, all of which are rated in the top 50 Links courses in the UK and Ireland (Golf Digest June 2011). The Championship Course has recently (2012) been ranked at no 1 on the Roles Top 1000 courses in the world.